UW Women's Ultimate Frisbee
Who are we?
We are the UW women's Ultimate club comprised of a traveling team, Element, and a local, developmental team, Big Bang; and we need your help. We need you to help us raise money to make this sport available for everyone to enjoy. The cost of playing can be discouraging for some, but we would hate to see that be a deciding factor not to play. Your donation will be part of the $10,000 we aim to raise to subsidize the costs of travel and equipment* and subsequently improve our program and minimize team dues.
What do we do and why?
We are a student led Ultimate Frisbee club at the University of Washington. The foundation of the sport is reflected in our team's values of: respect, personal accountability, and hard work. Every time we step onto the field we strive to encompass these values as a team. We practice 3 days a week, in rain, wind, and heat, to play our best and represent UW at tournaments.
Element competes nationally and has made 10 College National Championship appearances, winning gold in 2012 and finishing third in 2014.
Big Bang competes locally against a variety of opponents within the region and practices, develops, and grows alongside Element.
Element players cover the cost for plane tickets on their own, which amounts to:
(Stanford Invite ~$300 + Presidents Day Invite ~$400 + Nationals ~$500) x 22 (teammates + coaches) = $26,400
UW Women's Ultimate Frisbee Objectives:
Grow Community Oriented Players:
- We partner with All Girl Everything Ultimate Program in the fall and host tours of UW as well as a combined practice. We hope to encourage these middle and high school aged young women to create connections and inspire them to continue playing in their future.
- In early spring we invite high school students around the area interested in experiencing what it's like to go to college for a day. Our guests shadow our players during the day for classes and then join us for a practice.
- In late spring, we reach out to the younger community and host UpDawg, a co-ed tournament for middle school students, where spirited play and friendly competition is exhibited amongst the young players.
Connect With Our Partners:
- Shout out to Five Ultimate for providing us with our uniforms this year!
- We've also partnered with RenFitness again, thanks to her and her new gym our players are getting stronger and learning injury preventative exercises.
Compete With Teams Around the Nation:
- We love playing teams from around the nation and having Spirit Circles after the games with our opponents!
- Here's a what a traditional Spirit Circle at the end of a game looks like (UW Element and Dartmouth in North Carolina, photo courtesy of UltiPhotos)
Outreach into the UW Community:
- Our team is full of diversity with students from CHID, STEM majors, design majors, as well as grad students in Public Health and Med School.
- We want to make sure everyone who wants to play, or is curious about the game, knows about UW Women's Ultimate
- Element qualified for Nationals by competing in one of the most competitive regions, playing for 1 of the 5 Northwest Region bids.
- Raised awareness and opened discussion about HB2 "Bathroom Bill" within our team and among other teams at Nationals in North Carolina.
- We surpassed our fundraising goal thanks to friends, family, teammates, classmates, professors, employers, coworkers and many others, THANK YOU AGAIN!
- 2016 highlight reel edited by one of our teammates Eddie Chan:
Please help us by donating, sharing, and spreading the word of UW Women's Ultimate!
The University of Washington Ultimate Frisbee community has decided to participate in an extension of the feminism photo campaign originated from and inspired by the Boston University Women's Ultimate team. Here's a sneak peak!
Check out the following link to view the full album: https://www.facebook.com/ElementUltimate/
Thank you for your amazing contribution during the first half of our campaign! We are almost at our goal of $10,000. Costs are a common barrier to playing the game, but supporters like you are making it possible for us to continue pursuing our passion, like competing in San Diego!
If you have not already, please help spread the word to your friends and family!
This past Prez Day weekend we competed in San Diego against some of the top teams across the nation!
Michele and Michael Reznick
Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund
San Juan Energy Partners, LLC
Joan Lindell Olsen
Andre La Rosa
Mark and Diana Lerman
Liane, Paul, Rio and Colby Chuck
18 supporters have chosen not to be listed for "UW Women's Ultimate Frisbee ".
Make an Impact
A gift of this amount allows you to fill a gas tank and send one car of players to a local tournament! We attend 6 local tournaments each year, with multiple cars driving to each, so gas money is always a necessity.
Put a girl in a jersey! A gift of this amount would cover the cost of one dark jersey and one light jersey, designed by our very own Edrienne Chan and printed by Five Ultimate.
A gift of this amount would allow us to purchase 10 new discs, as well as cones and an agility ladder! We throw together every day and constantly work on improving our agility at practices, so these supplies are crucial to our skill development.
A gift of this amount covers our entry fee to play in a tournament! These entry fees cover costs such as field space, food to fuel the players, onsite athletic trainers, and more. Follow along with us on twitter @UWElement for tournament updates!
Host a Youth Clinic
A gift of this amount allows us to purchase fields to host our annual youth clinic, Up Dawg! We host this tournament every year as a way to give back to the community by coaching youth players from the Seattle area.
A gift of this amount allows you to show that you support this project, and allows us to purchase all of our tournament entry fees! As a competitive ultimate team, we travel to many tournaments during the year to play the best teams in the nation.